Thursday, 21 February 2013

Lincoln


An actor's film: if Daniel Day-Lewis gets the Oscar - it will be well deserved and it is uncanny how exactly like Lincoln he looks. I thoroughly enjoyed the political shenannigans required to get the 13th amendment through although I thought the film almost lacked enough pace for the average audience: it managed not to and I was riveted for the entire two hours and a half. I even stayed awake, as it was necessary to concentrate hard on the legal stuff. Sally Field delivers her usual expert performance and the young Joseph Gordon-Levitt ( a favorite of mine since "Third Rock from the Sun) makes a cameo appearance as Lincoln's elder son.  What a joy to watch a movie that is about words and not special effects! Perhaps some would find it boring: not me. My compliments to the screen-writer and the casting agent. Tommy Lee Jones has the best scene at the very end: was that fiction? I don't know. There was a marvellously ironic moment during the debate about the amendment.  An opposition speaker was declaiming his views: the abolition of slavery would be the thin end of the wedge!  What would then follow? Mixed marriages ? (Uproar in the chamber),  votes for women?  (HUGE uproar !) A brilliant film. Congratulations for all concerned.

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this movie out when it gets out on DVD.

    Yeah that votes for women thing has proved to be the downfall of civilization. Why in the US we have veritable harlots testifying before Congress on why contraceptives should be free. But our protector of truth, justice, and the American way, Rush Limbaugh, properly addressed that issue. He huffed and puffed and lost a bunch of advertisers.

    Next you thing you know the riff raff and rabble rousers will be clamoring for a woman president. Personally I would be honored to call Elizabeth Warren Madam President.

    I hope this happens in my life time, and I hope that I am sentient when it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are similarly praying for a woman President over here where women are still very much second-class citizens in many of the African cultures. Witness our horrendous rape and murder statistics of young girls, usually perpetrated by a family member or friend. Lately, dreadful torture has been included in these crimes - attributed to meths amphetamine, known here as 'tik'. Children as young as 8 years old are on these drugs, often given to them by their parents.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Have you seen it, Rosaria? I have tried not to say too much so as not to spoil it.

      Delete
  3. Hi there! This post could not be written any better. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the compliment - perhaps I left out a lot that could have been said of this film?

      Delete