Monday, 21 January 2013

Keep Your Mouth Shut

Google image  (giggle)

It is always a good idea to prudently hold your tongue if in danger of putting your foot in it. My apologies - mixed metaphors, but you know what I mean. I should have known better than to comment adversely on the length of my husband's new shorts as he is notoriously sensitive re sartorial matters, having grown up in a large family in a small town where it mattered greatly what the neighbors said behind your back.  Consequently, instead of one pair of pants to shorten, I now have six. In the same vein, but with more serious potential consequences, I have managed a degree of self-control concerning rumors which are rampantly circulating the family like wild-fire (sorry again, not my day for language), re one of the in-laws.  I have stoutly refused to comment or judge the unfortunate individual who is blithely unaware of the subterranean talk, even though I was recently in a position to pass on the gossip and demand verification thereof face to face. Something made me hold my tongue, namely, the uncomfortable feeling that I would merely be stirring the pot and causing more unhappiness all round. I have decided to await the passing of time. Perhaps the real truth will never emerge. No matter. Let us all move on. I shall try to forget the whole sorry affair. Meanwhile, to the sewing machine! Let me mind my own business.

5 comments:

  1. “We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out..”
    ― Winston Churchill


    “Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

    “Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.”
    ― George Eliot

    “Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce

    “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”
    ― Maurice Switzer

    For once in my life, I shall follow the counsel of those far smarter than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see I have sided with some remarkable company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have, much to your credit. I think I need a major revamping of my life and embrace George Eliot's and Maurice Switzer's advice.

      Delete
  3. No, no, Sextant, I must protest. I think you are being unkind to yourself. At least in the blogosphere one can say pretty much anything if you don't mind losing a few cyber friends here and there. I hope you don't mind if I borrow these pithy sayings and send them on to some needy real-life people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you note, I have no copyright on any of them. Send them on their way. Those in need should always receive the wisdom of the ages.

      Delete