Thursday, 20 December 2012

Time Freak


I am one of those people who has to know what the time is, several times a day, even though I am retired and don't have a lot of appointments. I must wear a watch: I glance at it often, even though I'm not catching a plane. I count my life in wasted minutes. I timetable my day: so many slots for work/play/jobs/knitting/reading... I love waking up early when the day stretches out - with lots of time to fill.  I always arrive on time: I know how to calculate and allow for traffic. I usually arrive a bit early. So when my watch stopped last week (it was an expensive Seiko, 18 months old), I didn't worry: thought it was just the battery.  Turns out it is solar-powered and needs a new circuit. Quite a lot of money, but no problem as long as I have the guarantee docs, a two-year warranty. I had taken my credit card slip and the shop invoice - not enough. Now where did I put the guarantee?  Of course, although I always keep these things, after a lengthy search, I can't find this one, but still have the ones for ancient machines we dumped 20 years ago.  Nostalgically, I now long for the perfection of my previous watch - a Citizen - had it for 30 years, never a problem until it died of old age last year. To top it all, I can't find my back-up watch either - the one my husband gave me for my birthday the year I asked him for a tennis racket. Grrrr... I suppose it will be like my husband's movie card, linked to our medical aid for really cheap movie tickets. Although mine gets used nearly every week, the last film my husband saw was "Blood Diamond", about 8 years ago, when he was forced to be off work for a week after a carpal tunnel op.  Just my luck, after carrying his card around in my wallet for the last 8 years, I tidied up a few months ago and put it away in a safe place. Needless to say, when my husband announced out of the blue  that he wanted to see the new James Bond, I couldn't find the card and had to pay top dollar for his ticket this morning.  I've just found his card in my desk drawer. Perhaps I'll have another look for the watch guarantee: after all, I might find other things I've lost in the process. I'm looking forward to the movie although of course, Daniel Craig is just Daniel Craig: the real James Bond is the inimitable Sean Connery of my youth.

4 comments:

  1. I guarantee that within a year or two without your constant watch, you won't miss it anymore. Besides, your cell phone gives you the time, if you really need it.
    I smiled at your organization: I too saved everything and everywhere. Then, one fine day after looking for something and discovering other things I had lost for a while, I decided to do as my husband does.
    He piles things in boxes by year. That's it! He happens to remember when something occurred, looks in that box, and voila' he finds what he needs. I tend to put things in categories, and then I forget what categories I put the item in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't know about 'happens to remember' sounds dodgy. I have something similar, just in ordinary files by month/year. That's how come I found the till slip and invoice. Must have started another system for 'Guarantees' that I've forgotten about..... I'll look next year. I still have six months to find it.

      Delete
  2. I always buy $35 Timex digital watches, when the band goes, into the trash it goes. I have replaced bands, then a week later the battery goes, replaced it, and then the watch quits. Now I just invest the 10 to 20 bucks for the band and battery into a new watch. If I had a pricey mechanical watch I would beat the living hell out of it within a month. I am very hard (hmmm that is going to go into terminologies best avoided, let's try a different term) I am very rough on things. I usually get about 3 years out of watch so $11.67 a year for keeping very accurate time...not bad.

    I liked Daniel Craig in the American version of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, otherwise I thought the Swedish movies were far better. Loved this scene from the Olympics:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS-dCdYZbo

    It gets dark very quickly in London. Any how, I loved the entrance...of course I would, I am the only Royalist of Irish Catholic descent alive in America today.

    Good luck with finding your guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also loved that scene. The queen is a great sport. Meanwhile I shall end up paying to have my watch repaired while uselessly lamenting the declining quality of previously respected brands and buy myself a cheapie as well.

      Delete