Friday, 7 December 2012

Defining Decor

Above our bed
Bought in a pub in Scotland - local artist, acrylic

Oil - by a dear friend

 Watercolor, $1 Bargain - real wood frame

Behind the toilet door, looking down
When I posted the photo of my husband packing to go to Germany, Sextant hazarded an incorrect guess as to what would be above my bed as a headboard. Most of the things which hang in my house are sentimental (oil paintings done for us be a dear, departed friend) or family stuff (mostly of our grandchildren, donated by our children). Above our bed are these two originals, painted by my daughter's best friend, while she was still at high school - part of an exercise of six differently colored versions of the same still life. It is now 15 years later, and this girl is currently an illustrator of children's books and still my daughter's best friend. The frames I found in my mother-in-law's house after she died, ancient and dusty. I spray-painted them gold and I like the effect. In our bathroom, behind the door, I have recently framed and hung, six little old people faces, all with spectacles, made of stuffed material. We got these peering out of a glass jar when we were in America in Wisconsin 30 years ago. Also, in our bedroom is a picture of a lone antelope standing in the Bushveld: it's a watercolor and very big - about a meter wide. I had to sing for this picture: we were strolling about admiring it in our local mall when we were newly married - the vendor said that if I sang a verse from his favorite song I could have it for R10 (about $1 in those days). It's certainly the biggest bargain I've ever got. What hangs on your walls?

9 comments:

  1. What was the song?
    Did you know it or did he have to give you the words? :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was: "I give to you and you give to me, True love, true love" (Bing Crosby & Grace Kelly, "High Society". It was one of my mother's favourite's and she used to sing it around the house. I am a sucker for old movies myself.

      Delete
  2. Love a bargain. I probably could have gotten two pictures--a second thrown in to get me to stop singing (mutilating) a favorite song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, I don't believe you, Olga. Nice try though.

      Delete
  3. Well the two in photo # 1 is a bit abstract for me and not nearly risqué enough. It looks like a nude that had the misfortune of running into a giant version of that sausage cutter. Well I have this unfortunate taste for nudes with all their appendages. Paintings 2, 3, and 4 I love. Number 5 might cause a question of my manhood, shaky at best, no opinion.

    The images are partially covering your text. In the future, where ever you want the image to appear in your text, break the text into a new paragraph and insert an empty line between the paragraphs first. Then insert your image into the empty line. That usually works for me, although I have gone back and looked at some of my posts that I tried to get fancy with image positioning and did some heavy editing. To no avail. The mysteries of Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sextant - they are bananas. Images covering text? They don't on my screen (???) Some odd function of Windows v. Mac? Does anyone else find my pics partially obscured by text? I'll take your advice anyway, Sextant and leave an empty line....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry - I've just realised what you meant about the sausage cutter. Never understood why the ancients cut off limbs myself.

      Delete
    2. My computer is a year old Mac. The second image is laying over one line of text:

      Here is what I see

      "or family stuff (most of [image] our children)."

      The third image is laying over the bottom half of "ancient and dusty. I sprayed"

      Like I say I have had it happen on my posts too. It seems the more you mess with the photo placements the worse it gets.

      Delete