Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Bargain Hunting and Barbie Beds


I give up on the search for bargains. As Christmas approaches we have been bombarded with ads in our newspapers/letterbox/mobiles as the stores vie for our custom.  The mountains of toys that have appeared are mind-boggling as is the uniform plasticity of most of them (made in China).  My 3-year old granddaughter has just become interested in Barbie, so I've been looking around at the accessories, exhorbitantly priced and - in my opinion- trashy-looking.  So I decided to make her a doll's bed out of a shoebox, as I had in my youth.  I rummaged through my cupboard of sewing bits and pieces, took about two weeks to plan it in my head and to stop procrastinating. I've finally put it together - took about two afternoons.  The only fly in the ointment was that my husband recommended contact adhesive to stick the ribbon on and its made visible marks, but never mind.  At 3.5 years old, I hope she just sees the big picture. We bought all our meat last week and now suddenly arrives a flood of ads whereby the same shops have now cut all their prices. Ah, well. You win some, you lose some. One must be philosophical. At least I've learned to delegate and should be able to sit back and watch my children doing the cooking on Christmas Day.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding the doll bed, in light of my already shaky manhood, no comment. But from an entirely objective view, it looks lovely.

    As for the meat, at least you have it. Every time something is on sale at our market, they are out by the time we get there.

    If we do not chat again in the interim, have a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A work of art this little doll bed. She will be thrilled and I'm sure will not see the adhesive marks.

    Christmas Day has always been about the children and so they should definitely be doing the cooking. Kick back, relax, enjoy, and watch the kids is what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both and a very Happy Christmas. See you all in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete