Wednesday, 24 October 2012

The Ups and Downs



I've always vowed that I shall make the most of the close proximity of all my grandchildren while I have the chance, mindful that I deprived my own parents of that privilege by living across the other side of the world. So it was that I was somewhat delayed in helping to paint the outside room last week-end by the arrival of my daughter at the last minute with both of hers and the urgent request that 'we'  (in reality, me) look after them for an hour or so while she went for a check-up.  On the plus side, M - the 4-year old, is happy with his new DVD but the 19-mth is only keen on doing whatever I am doing. Hence, the dishes.  Unfortunately, although I don't mind the amount of water which lands on the floor (I needed to clean it anyway), but I have to watch her all the time, since she can fall off the makeshift ladder and has decided that although she can climb up, she can't get down.  Granddad, wearing a fake martyred expression, got the paint cans out on his own and I was indeed able to help later on. I suddenly appreciate the little ones all more now since hearing the news that my daughter and her husband are moving to the other side of town (for schools) next year. That will be a two-hour trip both ways when we retire, so we probably won't see them more than once a month.

4 comments:

  1. You're right ... treasure every chance you get to see them . I have such wonderful memories of my grandparents and am so glad they took the time to share their lives with me .
    Every time I go to a museum , eat an ice cream , do a quick calculation on the back of an envelope or make some soup I can see and hear them again .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always a little envious but delighted for you, when I hear of wonderful memories of grandparents: I never knew my mother's ones - they died before I was born, and I saw little of my father's parents (distance), but they both died before I was a teenager. That's part of why I try to be a good granny.

      Delete
  2. What a little cutie! She looks like she is a great helper. Sorry to hear that they are moving, but you may find that it is that comfortable middle distance. Close enough to see them often but not too close. I bet you see them more than once a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,well... I am getting involved in the plans of the new house. There has to be a spare room for us to stay over on a Saturday night - with a mattress that meets our specs!

      Delete