Tuesday, 23 October 2012

She's Nice Person But.....


It's great volunteering at the library for a couple of hours twice a week, because I get to hear all the gossip and grumbles but nothing affects me because I can walk away. Lately, there has been an increase in (carefully concealed) ill-feeling towards one of the permanent library staff who does not pull her weight, particularly with regard to doing her share of shelving books which she manages astutely to avoid most of the time and when she does do it, the shelves are in such a mess (non-fiction) that the patrons complain that nothing is in the right place and they can't find specific titles. This person is also frequently absent for odd days, so that at the end of a year, every one of her legal sick days has been used up. As one staff member put it: "She is such a nice person, but she has no work ethic".  How does that square up?  I find that I avoid this person myself, because I find I have no respect for her and in my book, that means I can't like her? Or should I like her for her social 'niceness'?  I am not sure.  When I was young and we singles shared a communal house, there was a guy there who was very 'popular' but you knew you couldn't rely on him for anything. I avoided him as much as I could - particularly after my boyfriend (now husband) arranged for us all to go on a holiday and when we got to the destination, this guy just never pitched up. One conscientious library staff member put it this way: "She's nice to talk to but she's not keen on work" ??  Isn't that an oxymoron?  Even more strange: this person believes that she works really hard.

6 comments:

  1. Well there are a lot of back biting, ass kissing, mean people who have no work ethic as well. So at least she is nice. I agree with you, I find I have little respect for people who shirk their duties, nice or not. The slack has to be picked up by everyone else. But it is really galling when you are doing someone else's job and they are running you down to the boss.

    My theory on people who believe things that obviously are not true is that they are excellent compartmentalizers. They really do know the truth, but they shove it in a locked closet in their minds and pretend that it is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't like her either. I could make nice-nice in her company but I would not want to spend time with her.
    I so agree with Sextant's theory as expressed in his second paragraph. I suspect that the entire United States Republican party is chock full of excellent compartmentalizers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, I think you are being far too kind. They are practicing what some would, too kindly, call Romnesia, but I would call un-distilled BS.

      Sorry Fiftyodd, we are invading South Africa with binders full of politicians who loooooovvvvvveeeee teachers. I almost fell out of my chair.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdGpYQUtMaA

      Delete
    2. Oh man. He's an embarrassment.

      Delete
  3. I would have to get to know her to see if I like her. Sometimes we have different things to contribute other than the obvious. I think in every work group there is a person who is the scapegoat, sometimes with good reason but sometimes not. If I liked her, I would ask her what was going on and let her know that the others feel cheated. She might very well change if she knew what people were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned from family members living in southern U.S. states to say, "She is nice, but she has no work ethic, bless her heart."
    I also volunteer at a small library where there is one part-time paid librarian and a number of volunteers. Some of us work hard hard and some volunteer for the opportunity to socialize. My thought is that you get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete