Monday, 22 October 2012

Don't Judge a Book by....


Day 1 - scratched his face already
View from the maternity ward - Table Mountain

9 days old
I've not really been a baby-person, even when I had my own.  I couldn't wait to get back to work and was particularly terrified by the long-term responsibilities of having produced a new human being. I was particularly dismayed by the unattractive appearance of new borns, including my own. If my first hadn't had a label round his ankle and distinctly shorter hair than the others in the nursery, I think I could have gone home with any baby they said was mine and not been any the wiser. No instant bonding. 


Luckily, this did happen later - and his looks did improve by the day as did my attachment to him, and then it wasn't long before I thought mine was by far the best-looking baby in the whole world. 


Granny, father & son
So I am not phased by the podgy, round face of our latest grandson - I am just delighted that he is such a strong, healthy 4.3 kilo and thus far, a text-book child and contented. On reflection he looks just like his father did at that age - and    baby, look at him now.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely new addition. Yeah your right, new borns, all sort of look alike. But within days they start showing signs of individuality. Cute little dude. Granny ain't hard to look at either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bonded instantly with my daughter, my first born. I just wanted to eat her up so I could contain all my love inside. My son though was a different story. His was a difficult labor and birth and I didn't even want him in the same room with me, but that all changed as he got older. Your little guy is adorable! And the big guy even more so and I gotta agree with Sextant, Granny is a hottie as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! Those are not the words I used, but now said, yes agreed, a hottie.

      Delete
    2. You are too kind. Actually, I do remember my daughter looking tiny and feminine (by comparison!).

      Delete
  3. I always thought "other" newborns were homely, not mine, though. This one looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Homely' - now that's a useful word. Thank you all for the kind words. I'll post more pics of him as he gets bigger.

      Delete