Friday, 31 August 2012

A Consequence of Tiled Floors


I grew up in a cold place - England - and all houses that I knew had wall-to-wall carpeting, even in the bathrooms.  It was a great culture shock for me to set up house in South Africa with tiles everywhere except the bedrooms. One good reason for this is that South Africans are outdoor people, especially the men, and I soon realised I had zero chance of persuading my husband to take off his dirty shoes on entering the back door. Also, tiles are nice and cool and a delight to walk on with bare feet in our hot summers.  I do feel sorry though for tiny children learning to walk:  there are many hard falls and large  bruises. An unexpected consequence has been that I have been reluctant to use the beautiful cut glass items I brought back with me as wedding presents from the UK.  I have lovely whiskey and wine glasses, trifle bowls and milk and sugar sets. After some early accidents, the survivors have been placed firmly in a display cupboard never to be used again. Ditto china tea-sets. My best friend, M, has about three in her house (I've never seen them), which she inherited from her mother.  She is too scared to use them.  I've recently been tempted to break my rule though: I confess that I have been influenced by an advert for whiskey in which a sophisticated couple are drinking out of stunning cut glasses which sparkle and reflect the light in a magical and seductive way and I'm sure the whiskey looks a more beautiful golden color as a result. 
Three items which are on display are these lovely porcelain dolls - they all belonged to my mother and I've had the two larger ones on my mantelpiece since she died.  She said the small one was my dad's favourite so that is a new addition this month.  Luckily, the mantelpiece is way out of reach of my grandchildren.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, wine looks beautiful in the right glass, but I have never thought that about whiskey. Interesting.

    Rather than use you priceless treasures, why not buy a moderately priced set to use? If you drop one, no big deal, but it will still give you the beauty you desire.

    And oh yes, why was your Kindle on the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a real talent for breaking glass. My husband pales if someone hands me a drink in a nice glass and suggests that it might be a good idea to switch out for a plastic sippy cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame Olga, you be really accident prone! And Sextant.... it was the bathroom floor, ok !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And Sextant.... it was the bathroom floor, ok !"

      Hmmmm, alas my fiery imagination has had a mundane bucket of water thrown on it.

      Then again....FSoG had some pretty imaginative bathroom scenes. Ha Ha! Nice try!

      BTW, using the shower curtain rod for experimentation with grey neckties requires a structural integrity usually not found in the typical home bath. You may have to employ hubby's remodeling talent to install a rod with sufficient strength and wall support. You may want to limit such construction endeavors to your personal bath off of the master bedroom. When guests see a shower rod installed with structural steel they tend to snicker.

      Delete
  4. I was READING it in the bathroom.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the hit sensation 50 Ways To Play--BDSM For Nice People.

      Delete