Monday, 16 July 2012

Almost a Most Embarrassing Moment

Our little Mia - a few months before this event

In the car last week together with my son, my husband and my granddaughter: we were off to the shops when my usually very quiet grandchild suddenly announced very sweetly and looking at me - "Little Bugger" . On seeing my reaction (shock/horror followed swiftly by ill-concealed amusement), she capitalized on the moment and proceeded to chant the ill-chosen words at an ever-increasing volume, clearly enjoying the poetry of the sound, but causing us to have to remain in the car, now parked at the mall, windows firmly shut, until we had managed to distract her. Where did she learn this, I wondered, although I was pretty sure it would have been from my son: I do recall having had to chastise him on numerous occasions when he was small with this epithet I had in turn learnt at my mother's knee. Turns out that she had run into my son's study, (he works from home and was busy on a conference call), jumped onto his knee and joyfully shouting "Pipe Organ" (this I gather is from an educational App for toddlers her dad had downloaded onto his iPad for her) and thumped up and down on his keyboard, effectively destroying a large part of his spread sheet.  It was with some apprehension that we entered the lift but luckily, our little girl's  customary shyness asserted itself and we travelled up three floors with our fellow passengers in respectful silence. Whew!  Oddly enough, I am not one to normally worry what other people think - except in this sort of situation.

5 comments:

  1. Strange, the difference in countries. I was shocked to learn what a "little bugger" is about 10 years ago. For 50 years cute little kids were often affectionately called little buggers. Such as "the little bugger is nothing but a fart in a windstorm." I think the Internet is making us more sensitive to other countries special usages. I belonged to a car forum with a strong Brit and Aussie membership. I soon learned that a tosser was not a guy who worked with dough in a pizza shop.

    My son had been in kindergarten for 2 weeks. My wife and I were driving to the store and my son was in the back seat. He points out the window and says "There is Mike. He is a f--king -ssh-le." I pleasantly drove on for about 30 seconds and suddenly an explosion goes off in my head. I stopped the car and both my wife and I, said What did you say? And he causally repeats it as unconcerned as if he was saying his ABCs. Hmmm. We had a rather lengthy discussion on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So was it you or your wife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive my denseness, I don't know what you mean.

      Delete
  3. Was it you or your wife who had thought Mike was a F.... AH ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it kind of flew right over both our heads. Not unusual for me, I worked in a factory. But my wife doesn't hear that kind of language and it flew over head too. We pleasantly drive along for about 30 seconds and then it hits both of us at the same time. What the hell, your sweet wonderful 5 year old son just called one of his classmates a f---ing AH. Whoa!

      Delete