Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Ship Ahoy! A day of surprises


We're off tomorrow - hand luggage bulging with medicines (a sign of age no doubt). However, note to self not to book another holiday ever again which coincides with our change of season from summer to autumn. It started with the grandchildren, colds/bronchitis, then moved on to their mothers, then me and finally - yesterday, with demon-like precision - onto my husband, who is now prostate, doped up with the strongest anti-biotic, hoping to get better before tomorrow morning.  Let's be positive.  After all, it's not every day that one jets off to Amsterdam, to board a cruise-liner for a 7-day trip to the Norwegian fiords.  We are determined to have a great time.  Usually, an organised person, I had planned my last day at home in fine detail, packing etc.  and even including time for the insurance people to come and quote to repair our burglar alarm system and replace safety glass over our bathroom, both knocked out by a nasty storm - last Friday - a Public Holiday preceding a long week-end. Little did I know however, that my thoughtful daughter also had plans:  she told me she and her brother were taking me out for breakfast for Mother's Day - as we would be away on Sunday. That was great but then as a surprise she had booked a facial/back and neck massage for me afterwards as a special treat.  This caused me great anxiety as I had a last-minute plan of my own to squeeze in at the bank, which had just messaged my phone to tell me they were cancelling one of my credit cards which they consider a fraud risk. I thought of taking a rain-check at the reception desk, but my attentive daughter decided to stay with me until I actually had my clothes off and was lying (really tense now) on the treatment bed.   An hour and a half later, I rushed off, face now nicely scrubbed and bare of make-up (I never go out like this!) to get through my long to-do list. It was also Book Club tonight: well, there is no way I could miss that.  Anyway, so far, so good.  My suitcase is packed, documents checked:  hubby's is not - he is a last-minuter in that respect. Besides there are still three hours in the morning before small son takes us to the airport.  Then it's chocks away!  Wish us luck! Can you remember being young when 'health insurance' was something you'd never heard of, much less worried about?

5 comments:

  1. Hope hubby gets well and you have a great trip. You will need half the trip to recover from your busy day. Good luck, and bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last minute stuff - leave mobile phone SIM card at home and buy local 'data' time in Amsterdam. Have heard International roaming charges are exorbitant - people have had to take out bank loans when returning from a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I haven't been around lately - sad things going on in the family. We are getting to the age where our oldest members are, well, getting very very old. NB - my dad is in a nice nursing home now - my brother is very relieved. Also, it's only 4 miles from his house, so dad gets visited every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be so exhausting to get ready for a major trip! I sure hope that you and your husband feel better very soon and have a wonderful trip. It sounds like your timing is perfect, with all the sadness you've had to endure lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so much stuff to get done! In a few days, you'll forget all this tension and will be luxuriating on a wonderful cruise, leaving all the details of life to someone else for a change.

    ReplyDelete