Friday, 18 November 2011

Halloween or Ku-Klux Clan?



My husband is starting to stress a great deal about his looming retirement in less than three years.  His main worry is that he won't be able to fit all his power tools into the garage space in our retirement home.  To this end, we have extended the house so that it now looks huge on the outside: there is a workroom behind the garage and a great 'hobbies' room above the double garage which we plan to share for our indoor hobbies, sewing, jigsaw, computer, model boat building etc..) and there is the bonus of a secluded open area on the top floor behind the hobbies room at the back of the house - actually a suntrap, where I can hang washing, skinny sunbathe etc. G is slowly moving the contents of his garage at home to his new workroom to avoid a major effort when we finally move. The latest addition to his collection of what I regard as 'toys' is this scary-looking machine with big pointed sack which gathers all the sawdust as he works at his lathe. I am assured that this (expensive) piece of equipment is essential in terms of his health and it will ensure that the area remains immaculate. I buy this on both counts as I have experienced many a day when our garage here looks as if a dust storm has hit, with my husband emerging with only his eyes visible and my own car cloaked in what looks like a downy blanket. Of more concern, was the strange dizziness that afflicted my husband for some months and which puzzled doctors. Light dawned one day when he read in Handyman Magazine that certain woods give off vapours which can definitely cause this side effect. Meantime, I don't venture into the garage without putting the light on - this new machine just takes me right back to the sixties and the Ku Klux Clan - and it's been Halloween recently.  Sometimes it's not nice to have an active imagination. Silly, aren't I?  After all I'm not 3. Got out a scary dinosaur pop-up book from the library which I've been reading with great sound effects "Boom, Boom !!" for my grandson - "Again, again, granny!"  However, my daughter brought it back three days later - although he loves it in daylight, it's been giving him nightmares.(Sorry - bottom pic was correct when I selected it - can't seem to turn it. Pics do not load properly on my Mac)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you planned carefully for all your activities. Even with that, you will pick up some new hobbies too. So, space is important and so much easier to include this in your pre-planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I hope to find some new things: apparently, that's the best way to ward off Altzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty much a proven Franklin Marshall Sale fact that almost every woman in this north face jackets world loves to dress up! true religion jeans But did you know that dressing
    cheap Moncler Jackets up does not really require you to spend as much money true religion outlet as you think.

    ReplyDelete