Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Health - Choose your parents well!


There's some tension in my husband's family this week, as one sister (72) has just had stents put into two almost-closed cardiac arteries (I saw the photo!). She has had angina for some time. This galvanized the other siblings into action - another sister (70) flew into Cape Town yesterday and is having an angiogram today, after tests at her country GP showed her blood pressure to be 220/120.  She has also had pains in her back. We await her results today. My husband went off for a check this morning but didn't fast, so he'll have to have blood tests for his (forgotten) annual check-up tomorrow.  He did have an ECG though on the bicycle - that was fine  (he is 62), but his knees collapsed when he got off!  All this after his older brother had a quadruple by-pass in January - his wife went therefore for a check-up and also went in for stents the same day!  Gosh! Would they all have been dead and gone from heart attacks 30 years ago? I like to think I am safe as I have no history of heart problems in any of my close relatives. Nevertheless, the doc made me do the bicycle thing before he consented to renew my chronic meds last month.  Thankfully, my heart appears to be fine - although I did have to ask the nurse to help me get the pedals going - they were so stiff and my thighs appear to be somewhat weak!  The thing is - should we go for all these check-ups? One is inclined to put one's head in the sand and hope for the best, but does this add up to peace of mind or merely increase subconscious worries? I guess we have to ask ourselves, "Do I want to live in good health as long as possible or not?" One thing about a stent - it is a clever but simple procedure, done under local anaesthetic, through an artery in the groin.

8 comments:

  1. I think it's best to know what's going on so one can take measures to regain health or, at least, slow deterioration. Heart disease is pandemic in my family and every single one of my older relatives on both sides of the family have dropped dead from sudden cardiac arrest. My parents were only 66 when they died suddenly. My Aunt Molly was 86. So it's on my mind and I'm trying to get down to a healthy weight and exercise every day. As deaths go, these sudden events are better in many ways from a long illness like cancer. But I'd prefer to be older rather than younger when that happens. I'm currently the age my parents were when they died -- which really gives me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't ignore this kind of knowledge. Taking precautions will save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have company - lots! But yes, I pray for sudden death for anyone. I am haunted by my mom's slow decline from cancer. Heart-breaking for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope all will be fine and u will feel peace dear have a blessed day take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want my body to be my friend for as long as possible, so I try to practice good health. But I tend toward hypochondria, so I don't want to know too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly how you feel, Linda !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i Know just how you feel, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Find out when North Face Jackets an online store will be Franklin Marshall Hoodies having a sale. You will know North Face Jackets this by visiting items are of good workmanship, material and excellent quality. their sites, or by Asics Shoes Sale reading fashion Moncler Bags blogs. Online stores sometimes ask bloggers to write Hogan Shoes about their upcoming sales, Hogan Shoes Sale b so be sure to find out true religion jeans when they will happen.

    ReplyDelete