Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Mementoes of Mom


Funny word. I had to look it up to make sure of the spelling. This week I decided to make my dad an apple and blackberry pie, as the garden is full of these fruits  and my mom used to make it a lot.  With custard, dad just loves it.  It will make a change from the frozen dinners he has every day, in order to fit in with my brother's household. They are very good, by the way, much better than Meals on Wheels, especially when your wife has been an exceptionally good cook as my mom was. But there's nothing like home-baked. I am staying in my brother's house (next door to my dad) and my sister-in-law has been making great crumbles every day as the plums have been in season too.  She doesn't do pastry, however, and when it came to rolling it out, I had to go over to dad's house to get my mother's rolling pin and pastry brush - and also the dish that she always used to bake the pie in. It's always an emotional thing to open up her kitchen drawers and find everything just the way she left it.  There is even a carving knife that I remember my dad sharpening every Sunday for our roast.  It's very narrow now. But still there. Fifty years later. I haven't been into her bedroom: I know her dressing table still displays the Mother's Day cards, given the week that she died - and her bottles of Chanel No.5, still in their wrapping.  My sister-in-law has asked if she may now dispose of my mother's clothes. It's two and half years now, so I said yes, grateful that I am not asked to do this myself.  When I go back home to Cape Town, I want to take the pastry brush and the rolling pin. Such small things but they mean so much.

5 comments:

  1. It is often the small, everyday things that spark memories and that we want to hold on to. They are our connection to our past--people, places, events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother passed away about 9 years ago and my aunt wouldn't let my grandpa get rid of any of her things. Now my grandpa has passed away last year and my mom who still lives in the house is struggling with my aunt to try to get her to let go. There is so much that has so many memories but we can't keep an entire house full of stuff! My mom has been very slowly and gently getting my aunt to let her get rid of a few things at a time. The worst of it is, my aunt lives in California and we live in Ohio!

    Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I understand these things! Losses like this are never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many losses within a major loss and also so many heart-warming surprises. How lovely that you like to bake as your Mom did and that you keep her with you by making some of her favorite treats. I hope you are able to take her pastry brush and rolling pin back home with you. These little relics of the past can mean so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone. I know you all feel close to me with this.

    ReplyDelete