Sunday, 17 July 2011

Fun at a Garage


I was at a garage with my daughter in her car, grandchildren in the back and we were waiting for the credit card to be processed. Up came a smiling young man, smartly dressed in black and white striped shirt, black pants: at first he intrigued us by simply saying that he felt we should be on the cover of You Magazine (local rag) as we depicted such a happy picture.  Laughing, we asked what he was selling but we first had to listen to his sales pitch, which was to ask us whether we were day or night people, and he either case he had just the thing for us both.  This turned out to be a 'leather' wallet with different eye shadow palettes, not for sale yet in South Africa, but we could find the product in shops from next year. Unfortunately, he asked us to guess the price: I am totally the wrong person to try to sell cosmetics to - I just take the cheapest off the shelf at the supermarket, usually No Name. So I said I thought 40 dollars (R300) would be about the right price. His face was a picture - he briefly lost his composure, then recovered himself enough to tell us that the retail price would be 255 dollars but we would be able to obtain a special half-price offer through him. I'm afraid we fell about laughing - enough to cause him to give up his quest and return good-naturedly to his station in front of the doors of the garage Quickshop. Before he was out of earshot, I shouted after him that he was wasted in his current career and should be on the stage.  He had spent 15 minutes on us with undiminished efforts despite our reactions. I wanted to tell him that people who drive expensive-looking cars, don't spend money on things like make-up.  I don't think he'd believe me though.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by TNS and commenting.
    Sales is a brutal job with lots of dry runs before you make enough for dinner. I could never do it but I guess someone has to.
    As for your comment, I love Ceasar but can't get him on my service. I do get Victoria Stilwell on "It's me or the dog," She does a remarkable job with dogs also.
    Arkansas Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stunned by the price of that make-up, but I shouldn't be. I have used expensive make-up by Lancome for decades, using just a dab here and there, and not minding paying $80 for a jar of moisturizer.

    Most people can't resist a sales pitch though. You, on the other hand, are an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your nice comments on my blog. I'm so happy to get acquainted with yours -- and loved the posting! I look forward to reading through your other posts -- and am so glad to be acquainted with you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is expensive! Just for eye shadow palettes cost 225? gosh.. I wouldnt want to buy that.. not from salesman anyway.. better buy them from a proper counter..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife is a bargain shopper to the core and wouldn't hesitate to tell someone, who was trying to sell her something expensive like that, just how cheap she'd be able to get it and where! I have occasionally been a little embarrassed by how outspoken she is sometimes! I tell her later, "You could have just declined politely and not been so brutal about it." to which she will reply, "If he wants to try to rip people off then he deserves it!" I have to say, she makes our tight budget stretch to meet our needs every time! I don't know what I would do without her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say I am a bit of a sucker if the approach is gentle and humorous - but even then I don't buy.

    ReplyDelete