Thursday, 23 June 2011

White Lie



I have tried never to lie since I was a teenager and fibbed to my parents. Now that I am adult, I reasoned, I do not have to apologise for my actions and I am a responsible person. I have mostly stuck to this, especially with my husband,  except when it was unavoidable so as not to hurt someone’s feelings, “Yes, I love your new hairstyle/dress/colour scheme/curry  etc.  When I acquired our 24/7 Internet access, my husband had misgivings as he is not fond of computering at home, his typing still being of the ‘hunt and peck’ variety and he has minimal interest in the Internet.  However, In the past week, I have twice left empty frying pans on the electric stove on plates that were on ‘high’.  I was only alerted only by the smell and of smoke and the haze drifting into my study where I was, need I say, ‘quickly looking something up on the Internet.’  I gazed in disbelief (twice!) at the ruined messes - not a bit of non-stick left, and today I had to go and buy new ones.  The thing is not that I bought new pans,  but that my husband is going to be cross that I again bought cheap ones.  I can hardly tell him that it’s because I can’t afford to (keep) replacing expensive ones.  No good to suggest that that expensive ones wouldn’t have burnt - they certainly would if they were left on the stove for an hour!  I shall have to invent a fib.  Luckily, my friend M, has had the same problem - veges for the evening meal boiling dry.  Her advice is to take a timer to the study.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem! When I get absorbed in something I can sit for a couple of hours and feel like it's only been 15 or 20 minutes! I have to be very careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep forgetting stuff also. I thought it was MS but many are saying the same. No need to fib since it was not intentional. I know the net does get out attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I burned a couple myself. Now, as I tend to forget and get involved in so many things, I never leave the kitchen when I cook. If something needs to go in the oven, I set a timer with an alarm and then take a seat nearby to read my magazine.

    More fires occur in the kitchen than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The very worst is when the phone rings!

    ReplyDelete