Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Cholesterol



Retrospective.... back to May 2008....
So, we have finally given in. After ten years of dieting in vain and doctors telling us we are walking time bombs, my husband and I have decided to take the pill.  Our latest counts are 7.9 for him and 7.7 for me and although I have been to each doctor in turn at our practice over the years, I can’t find one to support me in the theory that if you have managed to make it to your early sixties, your mother and all your aunties are in their nineties and your blood pressure is fine (me, at least), and you have never smoked – then you are a low risk.They just don’t buy it: or rather they have to cover their backs. We are in a Catch 22 really:  if we don’t take these pills for the rest of our lives, statistics tell us we have a good chance of dying a cholesterol-related death.  My worry is that we can’t afford to pay for these things once retired and on a diminished medical aid. Some reassurance on that front – our GP assured us that even if we are only on a Hospital Plan, they have to pay for Chronic meds.  Hmm. That may just be the status quo this year.  The other thing is these medications have a bad rep.  Friends tell us of awful side effects and the pills messing up other organ functions. Very rare, we are told: and we have to come back in three months for a new test and a routine liver function test as well.  I’ll let you know...  Meanwhile, I’m off to eat a nice pork chop!  PS....  April 2011 - after three years my cholesterol is down to 4.2.  Can I ever give up the pills though? Am doing more exercise.  NB There were so many scary pictures of 'inside-your-cholesterol-threatened-arteries' on Google, that I decided to post a more positive one instead

7 comments:

  1. There is a part of me that longs for the ignorance of 100 years ago! Today it seems like the medical community is constantly finding things that "may" be a problem and coming out with new ways to treat them. The problem is, they don't seem to be able to stick to their findings very well and keep changing their minds on stuff! Any one of these issues could be legitimate but we won't know unless we try. When we were ignorant of all these things, we lived the best life we could and died when the time came. What gets me is the people who lived to be 100+ years old but did all these things that medical science says will surely kill you!!

    Not that I don't support you in taking the "pill". I would probably do the same thing. I'm glad you are seeing positive results from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the old folks - mine a case in point. My mom lived to 90 and loved fat on her meat which she ate regularly. My dad, who ate whatever mom cooked - is still going at 94! I don't think either of them ever had a cholesterol test. NB - Missed you lately, Book Nut. Been busy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have been very busy lately! Both of my kids have been preparing for school programs as well as doing fund raisers. (first program was Friday so only one to go!) Then I have been working on cleaning up around the outside of my Mom's house and hauling debris away. (last load went last night) And I have been trying to get some work done around my own house!

    I have been finding it difficult to find time to stop and eat lately!! :) I do believe the worst is over now. I was able to relax in my favorite chair for about an hour last night but of course that just meant I fell straight to sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took meds to finally get my cholesterol down to normal. I did try the diet and exercise first. Oh well I feel fine

    ReplyDelete
  5. These meds are saving lives. We know a whole lot more now than even a decade ago. Yes, some of these meds will be lifers, but the alternative is to give up all the things you've come to love.

    Hang in there with exercise, though. It seems to provide miracle cures on all fronts.

    So nice of you to stop by and visit with me at sixtyfivewhatnow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally gave in to the meds too. I did try the diet and exercise only method, but it wasn't enough. Taking a few more pounds off will help a bit, too, but I will still need the meds. Doc says it is probably my genes and that is just the way it goes. I too vote for ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got good cholesterol genetics, fortunately. The bp is another issue. My chiro said once that the bp readings used to be fine if they were 100 plus your age for the top reading. Not good enough any more, apparently.

    ReplyDelete