Monday, 14 March 2011

What Men Think About when They are not Thinking about Sex


This is an old chestnut with a new twist.  We've been watching an old BBC TV series from the late  70s viz "The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin" - 5 DVDs with 7 episodes of a sitcom on each!  We are hugely enjoying the British humour.  For instance,  Reggie opts out of the corporate world, goes off the rails for a bit, then goes back and opens a shop which sells all kinds of rubbish, advertised in the window as  "All items completely useless!"  Within two years he has become a tycoon with more than 50 "Grotshops" in the UK and also a line in  "Eurogrot".  His range includes things like cruets with no holes, square hoops for children, ashtrays with no bottoms, excruciatingly bad art done by the local dentist etc etc.  All very absurd, I thought, until I looked at our Sunday paper!  Someone has 'written' a book entitled "What men Think....."  (see post title) - but it consists of 200 - wait for it  - blank pages!  And apparently, it has sold out on Amazon!!!!   Well I never (as my mother would have said), there's one born every minute.  But on reflection, what a wonderful joke gift to give to certain people.  I can actually see why it's sold out. Very clever.  I don't, however, believe that men are like this (after a certain age).  My husband failed to find his prepared lunch in the fridge the other day and in exasperation, I told him he couldn't find a whore in a whorehouse!  Luckily, he saw the funny side of this - but got the last word.  "I wouldn't have to," said he, "they bring the whores to you."

4 comments:

  1. My wife just might buy me that book! :)

    You want to know what is really crazy about this book? Amazon has a Kindle edition! There really is a sucker born every day! :)

    I just put The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin on hold at the library, we love British humor and always look for it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled your library has Reggie!!! Even more thrilled that you like the British stuff. Our bank manager (of 20 years) is retiring at the end of June and I plan to give him my set of DVDs. He's the only person I've ever met who naturally speaks and thinks as fast as Reggie does. ...And he's about to retire from the corporate world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't BELIEVE there's a kindle edition of the blank-page book !!! On the other hand,.... it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world . (You are supposed to sing along with that bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, If you liked The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin, then you could check out another comedy series featuring the same actor. It is called Rising Damp, and again it was aired on the BBC in the early 1980's. It is very funny, and the actor also featured in some very famous adverts for Martini, again in the 1980's with a certain actress named Joan Collins.

    Hope this is of some use to you, and should you require any more classic comedies from the UK, then feel free to ask...Cheers...365

    ReplyDelete