Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Not Complacent



The thing about recognising that you are at a stage in your life where things are good and you feel happy about pretty much everything (there are always some problems), is that you start to worry that the good things will be taken away from you.  When your partner of many years and with whom you have shared the best moments of your life is your reason for living but you are both beginning to show signs of physical decrepitude (that’s a bit strong, but sometimes that’s what it feels like) you worry that either you or he will fall victim to a terrible disease, car accident, retrenchment disaster etc. Then there is your ever-extending family which now includes children-in-law and grandchildren. You worry about them. Then there are the global issues which I choose not to blog about but which I don’t ignore. Those poor people in the Arab countries. The world is small these days, one’s nearest and dearest could be anywhere when these things happen.  Worrying doesn’t help. Action is what counts in whatever shape or form. The happiest people seem to be those who don’t allow themselves to introspect too much. They just get on with life doing what needs to be done. And so I strive to be one of them. I will simply remember to give to charity, relish the good stuff as it occurs in my life and hope for the strength to cope with the bad.

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of a prayer I once heard:

    Lord, help me to change the things I can change,
    accept the things I can't,
    and have the wisdom to know the difference.

    It's hard to stand by and watch sometimes, but we don't always have a choice. However, taking action when necessary is very important as well.

    Life is something we live, not something we watch happen! :)

    ReplyDelete