Thursday, 3 March 2011

Failed Introduction to Opera


Having successfully introduced my small grandson to classical music while he travels in my car, I thought I would try a bit of opera.  I randomly chose Teresa Berganza singing from The Barber of Seville.  As she belted out one of her arias, my 3-year-old grandson put his hands over his ears, looked genuinely frightened and asked:  "Why is the lady screaming, grannie?"  I guess I have had similar reactions myself when my ears were suddenly assaulted by various singers of pop music.  It's clearly a question of taste.  Still,  I believe I can still train him to like what I like. Maybe when he's a bit older.

2 comments:

  1. There is a lady in our church that is formally trained in opera singing. When she gets up to sing a special song during the service, many of the children have similar reactions! :) I have to confess, I myself prefer to hear the gentleman who sounds like Cowardly Lion from The Wizard Of Oz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, Book Nut, I did fear you would not share my musical taste, but I do like the Cowardly Lion too! Of course, Judy Garland does it for me, whatever she sings.

    ReplyDelete