Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Double Take


I’ve never really believed in re-incarnation, although the philosophy does have a lot of appeal (if you’ve been good), but I like to keep an open mind.  Thus it was that I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw what appeared to be my friend’s parents dancing together at a wedding when I knew that her dad had been dead for fifteen years, and her mother has had Alzheimer’s for ten years and is in a home. They would both be in their early 80s now and this couple looked absorbed and in love and in their fifties.  We were introduced to them later - the man proved to be my friend’s brother and the lady, his wife. Even close up I could not get over the resemblance to his mother as I had known her, dark-haired, pretty, vivacious and slightly rounded back.  Even her legs and walk were similar. The brother was exactly as I remembered his father, tall, broad, genial-looking and balding. Some things in life are just too uncanny.  It gives you lots of food for thought.

3 comments:

  1. I have had that happen to me as well! It is kind of spooky when the resemblance is so close!

    By the way, if you're interested in this kind of thing, I gave you a Stylish Blogger Award! :) If you would like to accept it just stop by my blog for the details. If not, that's OK, I still think you're a great blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you Book Nut! I haven't got into the Award things yet, but I humbly thank you. Of course, I shall visit your blog again. Just that Jan/Feb are stiflingly hot here in Cape Town and I haven't the opportunity to spend much time reading blogs yet this year. I'll get to it as I do love reading others. Last time I looked, you had limited yourself to Book Reviews?

    ReplyDelete