Monday, 24 January 2011

Book By the Bed



A bit of a blockage (mental) today, so I thought I would just list the books I am reading at the moment, wondering if you can tell anything about a person from their choice of reads? I like to have a pile of books by my bed, as I read according to how I feel at the time. At the moment there are six: A Wedding in December (Anita Shreve), A Cold Heart (Jonathan Kellerman), The Syringa Tree (Pamela Gien), The Good Doctor (Damon Galgut), Birds Without Wings (Louis de Bernieres) and Midlands (Johnny Steinberg) - this last has been by my bed at the bottom of the heap for about two years. It is too depressing –farm murders in South Africa of the 80/90s. I enjoy Damon Galgut a lot and this is good so far, the first two I have just finished - both good. The Syringa Tree was lent to me by a niece, but I don’t know if I’ll like it - I am tired of apartheid angst literature written by white females years after it is no longer relevant. But I am being unfair -only read 3 chapters. I’ll persevere. Anyone out there who is my literary soulmate who could see themselves giving all of these a go? I am sure there are no men who would try the first one - the painful examining of relationships is just not their thing. …. Actually, I was given a Kindle this Christmas and I am so enthralled with it – bought “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” for starters, that the pile next to my bed will have to wait a bit. It’s a brilliant book

4 comments:

  1. I've been known to read some pretty strange books for a guy! However, it is normally not intentional! I have a tendency to pick them for some reason when I'm checking out new authors without any prior information. Boy is it a surprise sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books too, and I also have a pile of books next to my bed. Right now I am into biographies, and I am reading Keith Richards' autobiography. It's wonderful. Sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction, especially with a fellow like Keith Richards. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I use a Mac computer. I usually find the photos that I want for my blog entry, place them in a folder on my desk top and then, using the " on the blog creator", click and place my photos where I want them in the blog post. I don't know if that is helpful or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the photo help. I haven't seen the 'on the blog creator' on the Create a New Post screen, but I'll google it and look a bit harder.

    ReplyDelete