Wednesday, 15 December 2010

New-Fangled Gadgets



I was in an airport washroom recently, trying to find out how to turn on the faucets as there didn’t seem to be any device, when I dropped my powder compact into the basin. Immediately, a malicious niagara falls coursed upon it for a number of micro-seconds and then abruptly ceased. Just enough time to turn my newly-purchased cosmetic into a muddy puddle. I’ve got used to the long one-size-fits-all granite surface which serves in some public places as a communal sink but this facility had the good old-fashioned, spacious, white ones, so I was caught unprepared. What will they think of next? Luckily, for the employment prospects of the young, there seems to be no end to human ingenuity.

4 comments:

  1. I hate those faucets! I think they are designed to make everyone look foolish as they frantically wave their hands about trying to get them to come on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you here! Ingenuity is amazing. I also think that the new way of washing hands can be a bit frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the technology .... except when I'm at the one sink/faucet that perhaps has soap scum over the electric eye and, as Book Nut says, I end up waving my hands wildly to achieve the flow! Otherwise, I think it is wonderful to not have to touch any surface in a public restroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting post and an issue I wrote about recently, in less polite terms, of course.

    http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/2010/10/twitching-and-fumbling-in-automated.html

    ReplyDelete