Friday, 3 December 2010

Double Entendre



Small son came to show me the ‘status’ message he had googled for himself for his Facebook page, which he thought quite cool. Your ‘status’ is apparently something which describes your state of mind for the day. He had chosen that old chestnut (which he didn’t know had been slightly altered): “You spend nine months waiting to get out and the rest of your life trying to get back in.” I didn’t tell him that there were three words omitted viz “of the womb” and left him with his innocent thought. I suppose it depends on your age and whose e-mail list you are on as to what would have sprung to mind. He was talking about leaving home after his last nine months of High School. NB. After a brief four months in London, jobless, and sponging off his big brother, small son did realise the wisdom of acquiring a qualification of some sort. Having thus scuttled back home and into his beloved room, he embarked on a 3-year Diploma – “International Import & Export”. Next year will be his third and he shows no signs yet of wanting to leave the nest. I shall be quite prepared to give him a shove when next year ends, as the mommy birds do. And there will be no "double entendre" about it!

4 comments:

  1. I work with a lady who at 35 is still living at home with her 10 year old daughter. She has no intentions of moving but complains incessantly about how annoying her mom and dad are. I look at her and say "I wish I had your problems" to which she gives me a withering look and says "You'd change your mind if you had to live with them". I then point out that she could get her own place as I did at age 18 but she starts into a well rehearsed list of reasons why it isn't a good idea, many of them along the lines of how much cheaper it is to live at home. When she finishes I smile and say "Like I said, I wish I had your problems" and walk away. She hates that! The funny thing is, she doesn't learn that I'm not going to sympathize with her and so this same conversation has taken place a number of times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the point! Wait for it! Yours are still small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 33 year old son is still living with his dad. I've talked to the dad but there are always reasons. I guess they need each other.

    ReplyDelete