Friday, 26 November 2010

The Winning Tickets


March 3rd, 2008....

An atmosphere of gloom and despair has descended onto our house. I didn’t lose my job or have a heart attack: my family are all well and I am not depressed. What has happened is apparently trivial - I washed my husband’s shirt with his Lotto tickets still in the pocket. Looking at his face, you would think the world was at an end. The huge downside is that I think I shall not hear the last of this for the rest of my married life: every time we might be in need of a substantial sum of money to fund whatever, my husband will hark back to today, giving me a martyred and reproachful look, and say that of course, he might have had the winning ticket. I can think of only one thing worse - KNOWING that you had the winning numbers - and having lost the ticket! ….. Fast forward to today – November 26th, 2010. Miraculously, time has had a healing effect and I have not been reproached about the washed tickets in the last twelve months! Until today – that is, when I actually lost the ticket on the way to the shop to have it checked. Unlike our normal modest purchase, my husband had won some money in a bet with our son-in-law, and had decided to splurge it on a 10-draw, double row ticket. THIS would definitely have been the ticket that enabled us to retire in splendour. Double whammy. Now he has remembered about the previous incident as well and I am constantly reminded of both. I shall never hear the end of this lot. (Indeed, what if we had won? It doesn’t bear thinking about.) I bought him another big ticket to make up but paradoxically he has already decided this is a no-win item as I have now brought a jinx into the situation. Alright, I’ll keep it then. I’ll let you know!

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, I sold my husband's golf clubs for $5 at a garage sale, after asking him if I could (he was watching TV and he swears he didn't nod and say yes, which he did), and I haven't heard the end of that. I keep offering to buy him new clubs and he says he's getting way more enjoyment out of berating me in public than he would out of new clubs.

    Tell your husband that the lottery is a tax on people who were never all that good in math.

    ReplyDelete