Monday, 29 November 2010

Spell it Out


My son was asked by his father to help him move the safe to a more secure position. Son readily agreed and got the help of a friend. Having duly ‘moved’ it, son was ready to skip off to go surfing and was highly indignant when his father insisted that he had only done half the job - the other half of which was to drill the requisite four holes through the back and floor of the safe and similar into the walls and floor of the house at the new location. (We have rather determined gun thieves in South Africa.) This part required a little elbow grease. A heated debate followed as to the interpretation of the word ‘move’. I made a mental note to intervene and act as interpreter next time as I have crossed swords with my son on similar ground before. I have learnt that it is necessary to spell out each step in painstaking and precise English, although I have to admit even this is not always a guarantee against the inventive and devious mind of a teenage boy trying to get out of doing a job around the house. I should add that we only have such firearms as are necessary for my husband and sons to help cull the venison on our in-laws farms every winter, which also helps greatly with our food budget. PS My son went on his annual two-week visit down to the farms with such a small bag, I felt obliged to peek in his cupboard. As the owner of 14 pairs of underpants, I counted 13 still on the shelf. Presumably, this applied to the rest of his clothes and he will return with significantly dirty/worn out items. Yuk. Even a girlfriend has not resulted in him changing his ways. What's wrong with today's girls?

5 comments:

  1. I had an employee like that. If I didn't write down in detail everything I wanted done, nothing got done. Even with the detailed instructions he never got everything done unless I watched over him all day! He didn't last long! :)

    Fortunately for now, my kids are 9 and 11 and still do what I ask of them without too much argument. My daughter (11) has even surprised us on several occasions by doing things without being asked! One day at the end of fall, my wife and I were hard at work getting the outside of the house cleaned up and ready for winter. The kids had done what they could but had been inside for a couple hours by the time we finished. We came in to find that she had cooked a very nice dinner for all of us and was just getting ready to set the table! I was so proud of her!!

    I'm enjoying it while I can since I know it won't be long before the teenage horns grow out of their heads and we'll wonder where our precious little children went! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the adolescent brain is not yet fully developed. That's the only excuse I can think of for their ridiculous behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, light dawns! I'll think about that, Linda. As you say, Book Nut - enjoy this honeymoon period! I recall my 8-year old daughter proudly presenting us with a 'dessert' made of cabbage once. There has been an interim period of trying, teenage years with her - and now that she is 27 - I have to say I am enjoying a lot of home-cooked excellent meals at her house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry - I see now with my glasses on, that the safe in the photo has apparently been blown up. Didn't notice this when I googled for a pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) As I was reading the post I kept waiting for the part where someone blew a hole in the safe to clean you out! You even mentioned the determined gun thieves!

    ReplyDelete