Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Marriage Down Time




This is only on a small scale, but very much appreciated - my husband is away for two days on business and I can do exactly as I like in the evenings. This means no cooking! Cheers! I can indulge in my favourite food - tonight it is large quantities of humous on white toast followed by a whole bar of Cadbury’s nut chocolate. I can carry a pot of tea or bottle of wine to my study and sit on the computer all night if I like, while listening to Leigh Benny on 567 Cape Talk Radio (Cape Town’s local radio station). Tonight they were interviewing a financier addicted at various times in his life to heroine. He is never really cured. Serious stuff. I needed to switch over to my taped Barry Ronge show from Sunday morning for some light relief, all the while glued to my computer screen. My small son shouts from the kitchen that he has made himself a mountain of pancakes (in the glaring absence of anything else to eat). So he’s fine. At 9.00 p.m. I am going to watch ‘The Da Vinci Code’ with him. He hasn’t seen it before but I have - twice. If my husband were here, we would be watching ‘Dirty Jobs’ on Discovery channel, but I can always watch a good movie a few times. My husband can’t see the point of this and won’t. Last night I went to bed and indulged in my taped chick flick ‘Beaches’ with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey (remember her?) Great sob stuff. Then I carried on with my book, a John Connolly - also great stuff, well past midnight. Then I switched on the radio to have some company while dropping off . (567 again - what nuts phone in during the small hours!). This is all because although we now have an alarm system with outside sensors, I am always nervous when my husband is away. I have a completely false sense of security if he is asleep beside me. Can’t wait for him to come back.

3 comments:

  1. I sympathize with you. My wife and kids left yesterday morning to travel a few hours away to visit some of her family and won't be back until tonight. Last night after I got home I too watched a movie that had been waiting for my attention for some time and then spent some time writing. The house was so quiet and I found myself compelled to talk out loud (to myself of course) to break the silence. After I went to bed I tossed and turned most of the night because I just can't sleep without her. I'm looking forward to them getting home tonight! It's kind of nice to have the house to myself for a little while, but it's far nicer to have my family around me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how the freedom of doing what we want is soon hit with the reality that it is a bit scary when we are doing it on our own. I'm glad you enjoyed some down time, and I know what you mean about looking forward to when hubby returns after being away.

    ReplyDelete