Friday, 4 June 2010

Just for Grans




It is hard to overestimate the benefits of the extended family: we live at the moment close by both our married son and married daughter and thus have the privilege of seeing lots of our two little grandchildren. I find that at this stage of my life as I am no longer working, I simply set aside any time that is required of me to babysit, I give my full attention and reap the rewards. (Unlike when I was a working mom!) My grandson, at two, simply blossoms and is a delight with one-on-one attention, but of course, he is a live wire, loves climbing and exploring above all else and so I always take him out somewhere once he has completed his round of my house and satisfied himself that everything is still in its rightful place and there is nothing new to play with. I don’t buy him things and I keep him away from sweets but we have a great time at the shops. His favourite thing is to go up and down in the lift, pressing the buttons (we do this about twenty times), next he likes to go up and down the three flights of steps up to the roof. Most exhausting for me but I suppose I need the exercise. Last night though I had the privilege of having him stay over: as my husband was away, he slept in the bed with me. There can be nothing to compare with the feeling of a tiny hand touching your neck for security while its owner happily sleeps. NB Neck was sore the next day but it was a small price to pay. This is him at 20 months, launching himself into the deep end of our pool.

2 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to live so close to the grandkids. I have to fly to see mine...several thousand miles away. But I manage to get there about once a month. There's nothing I love more than waking up next to those little girls...although they are usually waking me up with "It's morning Nana, time to get up!" at the crack of dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't girls precious! What a devoted gran you are - it sounds as if you are on opposite sides of the continent?

    ReplyDelete