Saturday, 29 May 2010

Spotlight on Teasing




Coming from a small nuclear family - all serious individuals - I have found it difficult to adapt to the phenomenon of teasing which occurs constantly in the large family into which I have married. At first, I thought it was a very cruel pursuit and winced as people’s weak points would be zeroed in on - albeit in good-natured bantering fashion. However, I did see that the underlying purpose was to toughen people up and get them not to take themselves too seriously. It has taken me a long time to learn the necessary ripostes and I still feel there are more worthwhile ways in which to communicate with others. In other words, I am still not very good at it. Still, my training has stood me in good stead with my son-in-law. The other day I made them a bread and butter pudding - before they moved out of our house and as he appeared to be enjoying a second helping (and is quite fastidious with regard to food), I thought I would have a bit of fun with him and tell him how the pudding originated. i.e. Poor people would make it when they had left-over stale bread and milk that was ‘going off’ - (which is one reason why I made it that day). I could almost see him turning green and he now goes around telling everyone that his mother-in-law feeds him stale bread and sour milk (but just to tease me). It’s a shame really, that he probably won’t want to eat it again at my house - because it really was delicious!

3 comments:

  1. What a funny post. Teasing in families...eh, can be a very fine line. Love your blog title.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment by WWP--it is a fine line. Glad you are getting into the swing of things. You are probably better at it than I would be! Thanks for coming by my blog. I am a new follower. Do I get a crown or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father was a great tease; I was a shy and sensitive kid. It has taken me most of my life to get over myself.
    Save the pudding that your SIL doesn't want . . . for ME!

    ReplyDelete