Monday, 31 May 2010

Made My Day




I was in my favourite coffee shop this morning, imbibing my habitual delicious first coffee of the day, when a gentleman my husband’s age, circa 60ish, approached my table and said that he had been in the shop with his wife the other day and had seen me sitting at the same table. Although he was not with her today, he had wanted to offer me a compliment (details omitted here – but it was innocently meant, I think). Well, I have to say I walked out of the shop a little straighter and taller than usual, grinning from ear to ear. Perhaps there is nothing quite like a compliment from a complete stranger to make one’s day, one’s month, nay – let’s be completely honest – one’s year! Of course, compliments from other women count for more: that’s why I sometimes go up to women in the street and say how nice they look. I am always rewarded with a huge smile. Why don’t husbands get this? Note to self: It pays to put your make-up on, and yes, the pic is Meryl Streep!

7 comments:

  1. I think you look more like a cross between Blythe Danner and Maggie Smith (when she was younger, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes why do not husbands get this? a good one
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It reminds me to pay attention and compliments where they are warranted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm curious...come on, tell us...what was the compliment?

    By the way, Mum's flower is nice, but I miss the view off the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Nana, the flower also depresses me sometimes, so perhaps I'll put the balcony back IF I can find it! HHmm...... don't really want to say what the compliment was, but it wasn't that I resembled some or other film star. Amongst mumblings about his wife and seeing that I was married (ring) he just said he wanted to tell me I had a pretty face. (Yuk - you are making me feel vain which I really really am not. In fact, probably one of the most insecure females you have come across

    ReplyDelete
  6. Help! Now stuck with huge photo of self - don't want it! Can't seem to get PC to delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I get it - have to do it twice. My son loves this pic of a lion - he says the pink tongue is so feminine. It was taken when we were 'on safari' in the Transkalahadi Frontier National Park between us and Namibia.

    ReplyDelete