Tuesday, 23 February 2010

The Lovely Bones - The Movie




As this film was nominated for a Bafta award this year, I went to see it at our local cinema today. I thought the story had to be intensely personal to the writer and indeed, it appears she herself was raped as an 18-year old freshman. The device of having the raped and murdered 14-year old protagonist narrate much of the story from her place half in limbo and half in the sort of idealised pretty heaven which many find comforting is novel, interesting and (for me) slightly uncomfortable to watch, and did seem somewhat reminiscent of similar scenes from “The Shack”. Just as weird is seeing her walking and running around in the same clothes she was wearing on the day of her murder, looking for all the world as if she is still live and unharmed. Whether you buy into this story depends on both your views on life after death and whether you believe that there are tenuous mental links between the departed and those left behind. The film is really about learning to deal with the loss of a child killed in the most horrific way, how the family works its way through it over time and how the murderer does in the end get his come-uppance in a most unexpected and satisfactory way. I recommend you see this film - it’s a bit different from the norm. I don’t know how good it is compared with the book.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, it does depend on your beliefs of the after life!
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, as well as "Lucky" which was Alice Sebold's memoir of her rape....

    I don't think I could watch the movie, as the book was well written yet I found it to be very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete