Monday, 21 September 2009

Procrastination



It’s holiday time again and I am struggling to get my son to stick to his Matric revision timetable. But this is the pot calling the kettle black. I do so understand. There are two types of people in the world - the procrastinators and those that always ‘get stuck in’ and do not comprehend at all the problems of the time-wasters. Luckily for me, I have married one who ‘gets stuck in’ and he provides the impetus for me as well. My husband believes in facing problems head on and is unafraid of any type of confrontation whereas I need to have my back to the wall with a metaphorical gun to my head before I will face any difficult task or much worse, any human relationship problem. When I was young, for some inexplicable reason, I usually went out with guys I felt sorry for and would only break up the relationship when it had become really serious and I absolutely despised them - very damaging all round, not to mention making me sick to my stomach. But when I had screwed up my courage and practised my speech, said boyfriend would arrive with plans for the following week, cinema tickets (those were the days!) etc. and I would shamefully hear myself accepting the invitation. As a student, I would spend three hours preparing to study, setting out my books, arranging my desk and so on; then some-one would arrive and suggest going to the pub and off I went. I have faced many an exam having studied through the night, matchsticks holding up my eyelids. As a housewife, I now find I put off jobs like cleaning the windows until I absolutely can’t see through them and even then, I get out the materials and leave them around for a few days until someone complains. My biggest problem is I have a partner in crime. My best friend is my worst influence. M can always offer a good reason for the need to ‘relax’ and put off anything until another day. What a blessing she is! - I am off to the gym soon - after I’ve cleaned the windows. The trick is just to get started.

2 comments:

  1. We are soul mates. Procrastination is my middle name and my husband is a bit better but doesn't push.
    I have been slowly getting thru that list in my head and done a couple closets.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, extremely well done! I am lost in admiration! Do closets actually have to be cleaned sometimes?

    ReplyDelete