Thursday, 13 August 2009

Tomato Festival

September 4th 2007


My son and his fiancé have just come back from a few days in Spain, to which they fled in desperate search of a little sunshine and fun, after a long wet summer in the UK. They got what they went for – on the beach - temperatures of 40+ and the annual Tomato Festival. No, this isn’t a decorous show with the biggest vegetables on display. Far from it, 40,000 people line the streets and 120,000 tons of tomatoes are dumped by a number of lorries. And then…..AND THEN! You wade into this knee-high, lumpy soup and throw the stuff at everyone around you, friend or foe. What a fantastic way to de-stress (if a shocking waste of tomatoes, but no matter.) They came back grinning from ear to ear and completely relaxed. A small downside was that it took my daughter-in-law-to-be 3 days to get all the gunk out of her lovely long hair but this is hardly worth mentioning in proportion to the psychological benefits – she abandoned her usual restrained, lady-like self and got stuck in with the rest of them. I have never been a fan of the ‘primal scream’ method myself – just couldn’t do that, but I quite fancy this. I would have to do it on a bad hair day.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know when you go, I will join you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess it's one of those 'must do' once in your life things. I'd love to tell you I would go, but I think I'm thirty years too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah me too but it was a nice thought

    ReplyDelete