Friday, 7 August 2009

Stephen Fry

August 29th, 2007


Just watched him as ‘Jeeves’ on a free movie CD, supplied with my mother’s Sunday Telegraph newspaper. Great, witty, troubled, upper class homosexual actor/writer/raconteur as he is - I feel that I shall enjoy reading his autobiography “Moab, My Washpot” - no idea what this means, but suspect biblical reference - because he is so unpretentious and admits to liking Abba’s music, Georgette Heyer’s writing and Wagner all in the same breath. He likes what I like - so I there’s a good chance I shall like his writing. He has put me in my place though regarding swearing - I had subscribed to the view that people who swear excessively have limited vocabularies. He disses this smug, superior attitude with huge contempt, saying that everyone enjoys a good swear - and it is absolutely nothing to do with one’s range of vocabulary. On second thoughts, (which are much more honest than my first), I have to admit he is right.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know how the book is, I like Stephen Fry. I am currently ready Mt Booky Wook by Russell Brand.

    I am so glad you changed your mind on swearing.. I have to agree with him on that one.

    You might enjoy this older blog of mine..or not. The word is just so effective sometimes

    Let me know http://snickerbaraddict.blogspot.com/2009/05/when-c-word-isnt-worst-insult-available.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have a look as soon as my visitors depart - had a hectic week with my husband's 60th birthday. - Busy with washing at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Stephen's book yet- I am also a huge fan- would never admit to liking Abba and Georgette Heyer but I did as a child! even some Wagner too.

    ReplyDelete