Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Selling Yourself


My mother tried to tell me this years ago but she and my father had delivered mixed messages when I was growing up and I ended up leaning towards my father’s philosophy of believing I that everyone else was better than me at everything. Likewise I believed that in any situation I was always the guilty party. These convictions have not served me well in life and I hope I have not passed them onto my children. Luckily, my husband comes from a large family whose mother gave them a more balanced view: “No-one is better than you, and you are better than no-one.” This seems to have produced a bunch of really nice, capable people. But old habits die hard and when I heard a discussion on the radio this morning about the obvious need to be self-confident in the job market, I nevertheless cringed automatically to hear a young woman respond to the question: “How good are you at your job?”, with the genuine reply, “I am brilliant at it”. Good luck to her. It’s a tough world out there. Survival of the fittest. I really wish I could say the same thing she did just once in my life. I did hear something that stuck recently though: just because someone you know has made a success of something - it doesn’t by implication mean that you are a failure.

3 comments:

  1. just because someone you know has made a success of something - it doesn’t by implication mean that you are a failure.

    very wise words and something I hope to remember.
    thanks
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We fifty-somethings are the children who were "seen and not heard"- our parents taught us to be modest, self-deprecatory, not pushy etc etc. No wonder we have no confidence. It is a constant battle to build up self-esteem- I read a lot of self-help books and have even started thinking about the issue of "faith", even though I am not religious.I think faith is just another word for self-confidence, but if it wasn't encouraged in us as children we have to constantly work at it to develop it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete