Wednesday, 12 August 2009

The Fifties are Weird

September 2nd, 2007

Being in one’s fifties is a bit like being pre-adolescent, you are having to say goodbye to an old life but have not yet started the new. Hit menopause and your body changes into something foreign which doesn’t perform the way it used to and your face doesn’t correspond to the way you remember it when you look in the mirror. In fact you look like someone else. This is hard. I am not a grandmother yet and still have a son in his final year at school. I would have liked a ‘gap year’ to enjoy some freedom with my husband, but it looks as if we shall still have our youngest at home whether he studies or not and my daughter is having her first baby in March. I have always worked but not really had a career and my last job was mornings only, two years ago, so I have been since then just a housewife for the first time in my life. The fifties are weird. I feel as if my life has been back to front.

3 comments:

  1. I have had a career for 23 years and no end in sight. I would like to be a stay at home something for awhile. Trade?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! What career is that? NB. I couldn't do anything involving math or science. ....On second thoughts, do I really have the energy any more? Not really. Just a pipe dream.... beginning to recognise my good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a blood bank technologist. I work up patient samples and prepare blood for transfusion.. not a vampire. I give it not take it lol..

    When the kids are grown perhaps I can cut back some.
    xx

    ReplyDelete